Every home cook should have a handful of go-to recipes that are quick and easy to put together on a busy night. Some of my stand-by classics include rice and beans, crispy tofu wraps, black bean and toasted corn tacos, mini pizzas, and, more recently, pizza quinoa from GirlMakesFood. Cheesy, tangy, and hearty, it's comforting in its simplicity and powerful in its nutritional content. Plus, it all comes together in about 20 minutes!
You will need:
- 1 1/2 cups dry quinoa, rinsed and rubbed lightly (Apparently I've had a thing for food that needs to be massaged lately)
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups spaghetti, marinara, or pizza sauce (I made this over the weekend with a thawed batch of roasted tomato-garlic sauce and ohhh, was it ever perfect!)
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- a few handfuls of torn baby spinach
- Once the quinoa has been rinsed and rubbed to remove its bitter coating, add it to a medium stockpot, along with the water. Bring the quinoa to a boil, reduce to low, and simmer with the lid on for 15-20 minutes, or until the water has been absorbed.
- Stir in the sauce, cheese, and spinach. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
I'd love to try this with leftover roasted vegetables folded in with the quinoa. If your sauce is fairly plain, you could punch up the flavor with roasted garlic, fresh basil leaves, smoked paprika, or fresh oregano!