If you're trying to cook plant-based meals more often, Robin Robertson's One-Dish Vegan is an excellent resource. Filled with easy, creative, and filling recipes, it provides a variety of animal-free ideas that won't bust your budget or use up an entire evening in the kitchen. The recipe below comes from the book, and I already can't wait to make it again. The starchy rice and creamy beans work together to make a surprisingly silky, substantial dish, and the flavors of lemon, dill, and oregano brighten things up. Enjoy this Greek-inspired recipe tonight!
You will need:
- 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 1/4 cups dry long-grain brown rice
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 3 cups vegetable broth (use a gluten-free broth to make this Celiac-friendly)
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach (thick stems removed)
- 15-oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 3 Tbsp chopped fresh mint leaves
- zest of half a lemon
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- Add the oil, rice, onion powder, oregano, salt and pepper, nutmeg, and broth to a medium saucepan. Heat over medium-high until the mixture boils; reduce to low, cover, and simmer 25 minutes.
- After 25 minutes, stir in the spinach and beans; continue cooking for about 10 minutes, or until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed.
- Fold in the mint, lemon zest, and dill; allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and serve hot.